Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lesson #15: Daylight Savings is Stupid


I didn't need my dog to teach me this lesson but nevertheless I am pleased he has confirmed my feelings on the subject. Every time we are reminded to 'fall back' or 'spring forward' I recall the same emotions of frustration and senselessness. Because it grows apparent with every passing year that Daylight Savings is unnatural and should be made a thing of the past.

So I was somewhat satisfied when Professor McLovin started lecturing on this theme come spring. On the morning when the clocks were set back an hour he awoke an hour 'late' and completely ignored the new time in a symbolic protest, a 'lie-in' if you will. Each day, as the sun started rising earlier and earlier, he adjusted his morning routine accordingly, always ignoring time (man's synthetic construct) in deference of Time (mother nature's clock.)

Yes, we should form patterns following the natural rising and setting of the sun, the ebb and flow of time rather than pandering to knee-jerk reactions based on outdated traditions that may not have ever been a good idea even when they conceived. (I'm might be a little too passionate on this topic: I read an entire non-fiction book devoted to the history and debate surrounding Daylight Savings.) So let's add one more voice on the side against mechanically adjusting all the clocks in the house on the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment