Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lesson #10: Butter and Cheese Smell Really Good

Oscar is not a beggar but he does show keen interest whenever food is being prepared. Usually he mills about the chef's feet, not getting in the way but definitely trying to be noticed in case someone wants to feed him an extra snack.

However, his behavior changes from passive to aggressive once certain foodstuffs are involved. If butter or cheese gets taken out of the fridge Oscar's ears immediately perk up and he runs over to where the action is. He doesn't necessarily expect to get an immediate reward but he does make himself available for an impromptu handout: perhaps the cheese is a bit moldy and unfit for human consumption.

What amazes me most is his ability to sense whenever we are about to eat one of these dairy products. I would say "smell" but I think the Professor possesses more of an extra-sensory skill to sense the presence of butter or cheese rather than having to rely on his nose alone. He can be outside amusing himself when I walk over to the fridge and open the cheese drawer only to find that he is suddenly by my side, looking up at me expectantly. Or sometimes he can be fast asleep all the while I've been preparing breakfast but when it comes time for spreading a certain toast topping he springs up from his resting place as if he had been lying in wait for this moment for the last half hour.

In the interest of full disclosure I must admit he also has a knack for sensing chicken or fish but since we are a a mainly vegetarian household he does seem to react most strongly to butter and cheese. Which implies to me that since butter and cheese smell so good they should be thoroughly enjoyed by those souls that are lucky enough to consume them regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment